Tuesday 26 November 2013

Shadz member bio - Alistair Taylor

Alistair Taylor
"Jet" Taylor

(Bass Guitar/Vocals)

"I had piano lessons at about age 10, then taught myself the guitar from about age 12. Played rhythm/lead guitar in the North Shore Youth Orchestra for about two years at age 15-17 and worked in school bands during my high school years. After leaving school, I formed a band with four others and we stayed together for about 15 years, playing “middle of the road rock”, mainly for weddings and sports club functions.

"It was during that time that I started playing bass guitar as we had a female bass player who couldn’t sing and play bass at the same time but she could also play rhythm/lead. The band didn’t have a name because none of us could agree on one, but there was no shortage of work. This band eventually folded with the advent of “disco” and a sharp decline in demand for our kind of music. Members were getting married and work commitments took precedence.

"After that, I didn’t play professionally for about 20 years until I met Garry Betti, our drummer, about 10 years ago. That led to me playing bass with 'Indigo Blue' for about five years. I also played rock and jazz with a couple of other bands. About a year ago, Garry asked if I would like to play bass for a Shadows tribute band that he was forming, and here we are - The Shadz!

'I really enjoy playing Shadows tunes as a lot of the bass lines are very different from anything else around and a lot of the early Shadows bass lines are jazz-oriented. thanks to the formative experiences of Jet Harris, their original bassman."


Click to see all 4 Shadz member bios

No comments :

Post a Comment